Today’s Meet The Blogger comes from adoptive mum, coach, trainer and writer Helen Oakwater. You can find her blog on her website Bubble Wrapped Children.
Quick 5 – In my life at the moment….
Book – Baby P the Untold Story by Prof Ray Jones
Music – Bruce Springsteen
TV programme – Sex in the City – missed it first time round
Food – anything gluten free
Pastime – swim
What is your biggest challenge as an adoptive parent?
1. Letting go.
2. Watching them self destruct
What do you wish you had known before you adopted your children?
1. That the impact of maltreatment and neglect meant they had massive holes in their past. I would have done much much more babying, regression and encouringing them to act younger than their age.
2. That healing takes time and kids need to know the truth about their past.
3. That BM (birth mother) lied and denied and SW (social workers) were scared of her.
4. Adoption support and therapy are essential must haves
5. The financial cost of not being able to work (due to full time therapeutic parenting) and funding therapy from my savings and pension mean I will have to work for the next few decades (while non adoptive parents and friends are retiring)
6. The body keeps score – the damage to my health through living with trauma for decades
Why not both? Neither with milk
What do you think is your biggest source of support?
1. My friend and mentor Lynda (adopter)
3. Swimming habit (stopped my head exploding)
4. NLP and coaching which helped me see things from a different perspective.
Reward charts yes/no?
For traumatised kids no
For parents … maybe, especially if chocolate is involved
What is the best or most memorable piece of advice you have ever received?
Do something about this now … it wont improve with time … it will get worse
My perfect adoption support would include…
How many pages do you want?????
If you blog about adoption and would like to tell us a bit more about yourself, then please email us at email@example.com and we can send you our list of questions.